1 kilo (2 lbs 4 oz) flour
1 wine glass ouzo
1 teaspoon baking soda or baking powder
Juice of half a lemon
250 grams (9 oz) walnut crumbs
2 teaspoons cinnamon crumbs
2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
Refined oil for frying
2 teacups sugar
1 teacup honey
2 glasses water
A stick of cinnamon
- Beat the eggs in the mixer for 5 minutes. Add the ouzo, the baking soda (or baking powder), the lemon juice and the flour.
- Remove from the mixer and knead by hand until you have a tough dough. Cover the dough and let it stand for two hours.
- With a rolling pin roll the dough out into very thin leaves. Cut the leaves into square shapes.
- Press the edges of the squares together with your fingers so as to form bows.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the «pleats» on both sides, until they are golden brown.
Place the sweet pleats on a tray and prepare the syrup as follows:
- In a pot, place the sugar, the honey, the water and the cinnamon and boil for 15 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the pleats and sprinkle with walnuts and cinna¬mon.
- Serve cold.