1 large onion, sliced lengthwise
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 leek, white part only, chopped
5 fresh parsley sprigs
1 small celery stalk, chopped
3 garlic cloves (optional)
2 bay leaves (optional)
3 fresh thyme sprigs or half teaspoon dried thyme
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
2 teaspoons salt
Half cup (120 ml /4 fl oz) dry white wine (optional)
10 black peppercorns
1 tart green apple, chopped (optional)
- Put all fhe ingredients except the wine (if using) and peppercorns into a large pan and pour in 6 cups (1.5 litres/2V2 pints) water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Add the wine and peppercorns and simmer for 15 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool, then strain the stock through a fine strainer into a bowl.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Alternatively, freeze in small quantities in plastic containers or bags for up to 2 months.
- A chopped tart green apple simmered with the vegetables adds body to the stock.