1lb filo pastry
1lb almonds, fine ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1.5 cups butter
Half cup sugar
For the syrup
Lemon or orange peel
1 cup honey
1 piece cinnamon
3 cups sugar
3 cups water
- Mix the ground almonds with the sugar and the cinnamon.
- Butter a rectangular baking dish measuring 33cm x 23cm and lay in 2 sheets of the filo pastry, buttering each one separately.
- Sprinkle with half a cup of the mixture and cover with two more sheets of buttered pastry.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mixture and cover with six sheets of buttered pastry and pour over the remainder butter over the top.
- Cut the baklava into diamond shape with a sharp knife and sprinkle with 2 spoon of water,
- Bake in the oven at 350oF for about 45 minutes.
Prepare the syrup
- Boil the syrup ingredients for five minutes; discard the cinnamon, cloves and the lemon peel.
- Pour the hot syrup over the baklava while is cooled slightly.