300 grams (11 oz) semisweet (dark) chocolate, broken into pieces
250 ml (8 fl oz) whipping cream
- Put the chocolate into a heavy pan and pour in the cream. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is lukewarm before using.
- If you like, flavor the sauce by stirring in vanilla or almond extract or a liqueur of your choice.
- The sauce can be poured over ice cream or used as a frosting (icing) for cakes and cookies (biscuits).
- If a thick consistency is required, let the sauce cool completely, then beat well until light and fluffy.