4 ½ lb (2 kg) eggplants (aubergines)
1 cup (120 g) mild kefalotiri, pecorino, or parmesan, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
100 g fresh bread crumbs
Fine dry bread crumbs or all- purpose (plain) flour, for coating
Vegetable oil, for frying
Tzatziki, to serve
- Preheat the broiler (grill). Spread out the eggplants on a cookie sheet (baking tray) and broil (grill), turning frequently, until the skin is blackened and charred and the flesh is soft.
- Remove from the broiler, halve the eggplants, and scoop out the flesh. Process to a puree in a food processor. This should produce about 2 cups (450 ml /16 fl oz) puree.
- Scrape it into a large bowl, stir in the cheese, eggs, baking powder, parsley, onion, and garlic, and season with salt and paprika. Mix in enough fresh bread crumbs to form a soft, pliable mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Spread out the dry bread crumbs or flour on a shallow plate. Form the eggplant mixture into patties and gently roll in the bread crumbs or flour to coat.
- Pour the oil into a heavy skillet or frying pan to a depth of about half inch (5 mm) and heat. Add the patties, in batches, and cook until browned on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with Tzatziki.