1lb filo pastry
1lb almonds, finely chopped
Half cup fine bread crumbs
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1c cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
For the syrup
Half cup honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups sugar
1.5 cups water
- Mix the almonds, bread crumbs, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon and the egg.
- Cut the pastry sheets into strips 10cm wide.
- Take a strip of pastry, brush it with butter, fold it in half and place on it a spoonful of the filling in the middle.
- Roll up into a flute shape and arrange the flutes one next to the other in a buttered baking dish.
- Brush with butter and bake in a preheated oven at 350oF for about 30 minutes. Leave to cool.
Prepare the syrup
- In a saucepan boil the sugar, the honey and water for five minutes.
- Add the lemon juice remove from heat and pour over the flutes.