1 lb 2 oz (500 g) ready-made phyllo dough (filo pastry)
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the cheese filling
Half cup (120 ml/4 fl oz) milk
1 tablespoon cream of wheat or fine semolina
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 Oz (120 g) feta cheese, crumbled scant
1 cup (100 g/3.5 oz) grated regato
Pecorino, or other hard, full-flavored cheese
For the meat filling
5 Oz (150 g) ground (minced) beef
2 scallions (spring onions), finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 tablespoons milk or water
- To prepare the cheese filling, combine the milk and cream of wheat or semolina in a small pan. Simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Remove from the heat, add all the remaining cheese filling ingredients, and mix well, then season with salt and pepper. The filling should be thick, not runny. If necessary, add more feta cheese.
- To prepare the meat filling, combine the beef, scallions, garlic, herbs, and olive oil in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add enough milk or water to make a soft but not runny mixture.
- With a sharp knife, cut a 2-inch (5-cm) piece off the phyllo roll and cover the remaining roll to prevent it from drying out.
- Unroll the dough strips on a work surface. Put a teaspoon of cheese or meat filling in one corner of a strip and fold the other corner over the filling to form a triangle.
- Fold the triangle over and over on itself to the end of the strip, moistening the edge to seal and form a neat, small triangle. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and fillings.
- At this point, the triangles can be frozen, layered with wax (greaseproof) paper in an airtight container. Keep the cheese and meat triangles separate.
- When ready to cook, heat the vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 350-375°F (180-190°C). Add the triangles to the hot oil, in batches if necessary, and cook for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. (It is not necessary to thaw them if frozen.)
- Drain and serve immediately.