3 1/4 lb (1.5 kg) octopus, cleaned and cut into pieces
1 cup (250 ml/8 fl oz) red wine vinegar
Olive oil, for drizzling
Dried oregano, to serve
Lemon wedges, to serve
FOR THE MARINADE
Half cup (120 ml) olive oil
1 cup (250 ml) white wine
1 Teaspoon dried oregano
10 black peppercorns
- For tender, melt-in-the mouth grilled octopus, boil it first. Put the octopus into a large pan, pour in the vinegar, add water to cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, then drain and place into a bowl.
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a screw-top jar, fasten the lid and shake vigorously until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture over the octopus and let marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, drain the octopus and reserve the marinade. Grill the octopus on both sides on a barbecue over charcoal, basting frequently with the marinade, for about 15 minutes.
- Arrange the octopus on a platter, drizzle with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with oregano and serve with lemon wedges.
- Serve immediately with ouzo and ice.
- This is the traditional summer meze served on the islands and in coastal eateries all over Greece, where you can see octopus hanging out in the sun to dry.