2lbs filo kantaifi
3 cups ground walnuts
2 cups butter
5 tablespoons sugar
For the syrup
Lemon or orange peel
3 cups water
- Place the ground walnuts in a bowl with five spoons of sugar and one spoonful cinnamon and stir.
- Open out the kantaifi pastry, place in a baking dish and pour all over one cup of butter all over it.
- Taking a little of the pastry, spread it out on a clean working surface, place a spoonful of the prepared mixture in the middle and roll it up into a cylinder shape taking care to fold the edges inside the roll.
- Place the kantaifi rolls in the battered baking dish, side by side and then pour the remaining melted butter over them.
- Sprinkle with half a cup of water, cover the dish firmly with a silver foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350oF.
- After half an hour remove the foil and bake for a further 15 minutes, until the rolls golden.
- Prepare the syrup by boiling the sugar with the water and the peel for.
- Boil for 5 minutes; remove the peel and leave to cool.
- When the kantaifi is ready, take it out of the oven and immediately pour the syrup over it.
- Cover again with a silver foil and leave it for 20 minutes to absorb the syrup, then remove the foil and serve it cold.