500 grams (1 lb 2 oz) finely ground almonds
400 grams (14 oz) confectioners' (icing) sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons rose water or
1 tablespoon apricot jam
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Combine the ground almonds, sugar, and vanilla or almond extract in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the lemon juice and rose water, if using, or add the jam. Using a fork, gradually stir in the beaten egg whites, a little at a time, until the mixture is moist, then mix with your hand until all the egg white has been added. (Add as much egg white as necessary to produce a smooth, stiff paste.)
- Lightly dust a work surface with confectioners' sugar. Gather the mixture into a ball and knead it on the prepared work surface, but avoid over-kneading, as this will make the marzipan oily.
- Wrap in plastic wrap (cling film) and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- If it has dried out slightly, knead it with a little rose water until it becomes soft and pliable again.
- It also freezes well for several months