10 round eggplants
1lb ground beef
2lb tomatoes, mashed
3oz. grated cheese
2 onions, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
Half cup olive oil
- Wash the eggplants and cut out a thin slice length-wise from each one.
- Using a small spoon, remove a little of the flesh.
- Brush the eggplants with oil and place in a greased baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven until they soften.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and sauté the onions, the garlic, the ground beef abd the flesh of eggplants, stirring continuously.
- After 10 minutes, add the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper and keep stirring for a while.
- Cook for 30 minutes, until all the liquid has been evaporated.
- In another saucepan prepare the béchamel, melt the rest of the butter and add the flour, stirring all the time.
- Slowly add the milk and stir unlit the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat, beat the egg and add it into the pan with the half of the grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the eggplants with the meat mixture and pour over them the béchamel sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese and bake in the oven at 400oF for about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot.