1.5 kilos (3 lbs 6 oz) minced lamp
1 kilo (2 lbs 4 oz) onions
5 tablespoons butter
10 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teacup milk
2 teacups semolina
1 kilo (2 lbs 4 oz) «fyllo» pastry
- Heat half the butter in a pan and saute one finely diced onion.
- Add the minced lamb, salt and pepper, the cinnamon, two teacups water am cook, until all the water gone.
- Quarter the remaining onions and boil them in broth (or in water containing the bones of the lamb) in another pot.
- When the onions are done, take them out and puree them. Strain the broth and keep only two teacups of it.
- Prepare a cream with the milk, the semolina and the broth. When this cream is cold enough, add the pureed onions, the beaten eggs, the re¬maining butter, the cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a pan with butter and line it with half the sheets of «fyllo» pastry, brushing each one with melted butter.
- Spread the minced meat evenly and pour the crcam mixture over it.
- Cover with the remaining sheets of «fyllo» pastry, brushing each one with butter, particu¬larly the top one.
- Bake the pie in a medium oven, until its top starts to turn pale golden.