1lb ground beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
Half cup white wine
3 tablespoons parsley
3 tablespoon flour
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons fine bread crumbs
5 tablespoons grated hard cheese
Half cup butter
Half cup olive oil
- Peel and cut the potatoes, zucchini and eggplants into slices length-wise.
- Fry lightly and drain well on kitchen paper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the meat and onion for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine, salt, pepper, parsley and mashed tomatoes.
- Stir well and cook for 30 minutes, until all the juices have evaporated.
- In a baking dish, place one layer of potatoes, one of eggplants and one of zucchini.
- On top of these, spread half of the meat mixture.
- Repeat, layering first the vegetables and then the rest of the meat mixture.
- In order to make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour, stirring continuously.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring all the time and then the salt and the pepper, ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg.
- When the béchamel sauce has thickened, remove from the heat, add the beaten egg and stir well.
- Pour the sauce over the mousaka, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and grated cheese and bake in oven at 350Fo for about 40 minutes, until golden on top.
- Serve hot, cut into portions.