1lb veal mincemeat
1lb thick pasta
3oz lard cheese, grated
4 eggs, beaten
4 tomatoes, mashed
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 table spoons flour
2 cups milk
Half cup butter
- Heat half the butter in a saucepan and sauté the chopped onion, the ground meat salt and pepper and half a teaspoon nutmeg.
- As soon as the meat is browned, add the mashed tomatoes and a cup of water and simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring regularly.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water.
- Cool by pouring cold water over the cook pasta and drain.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the flour, stirring continuously.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the milk, stirring all the time.
- Place the pan back on the heat and add salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens, remove from the heat and add the beaten eggs and half the grated cheese.
- Place half the pasta in a buttered baking dish, then add the meat sauce and cover it with the remaining pasta.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over the pasta and sprinkle with the rest of grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 350oF for about half an hour, until golden on top.
- Serve hot cut into portions.