1 kilo (2 lbs 4 oz) macaroni No 3
Half kilo (1 lb 2 oz) minced meat
2 medium-sized onions, finely diced
2-3 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
2 teacups olive oil
1 bay leaf
Pinch of basil
150 grams (5 oz) kefalotyri or Parmesan cheese, grated
- Saute the onions in a teacup of oil, until they turn golden.
- Add the minced meat and saute it with the onions stirring constantly, until all the lumps of the meat are dissolved.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pep¬per, the hay leaf, the basil and some water.
- Let everything cook over a medium fire for about 30 minutes.
- Half cook the macaroni in plenty of salted water, cool them down and drain.
- In a frying pan, heat the sec¬ond cup of oil and pour it over the macaroni.
- In the meantime, prepare the bechamel sauce as follows:
Lay out a layer of macaroni in a pyrex dish or pan, sprinkle it with cheese and cover with the minced meat mix, you