1.5lbs filo pastry
2 cups coarsely ground walnuts
1 cup coarsely ground almonds
1/3 cup burnt sesame
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Half teaspoon clove powder
1 cup butter
2 tablespoons sugar
For the syrup
1 cup honey
1 piece cinnamon
3 cups sugar
3 cups water
- In a bowl mix the ground walnuts and almonds, sesame, sugar, cinnamon and the clove powder.
- Take two of the pastry sheets, brush each one with butter and lay one of top of the other.
- Sprinkle the prepared mixture over the top and roll it up.
- Twist into a spiral-shape and place in the center of a buttered baking dish.
- Repeat until the dish is full.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350oF until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
- Prepare the syrup by boiling all the ingredients for five minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon, the cloves and the lemon peel and pour over the baked saragli.