2 cups shelled walnuts
2 cups almonds, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon clove powder
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons sugar
- Mix the flour with the butter, soda, a little salt and enough water to make elastic dough.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of half cm and cut out into circles.
- Coarsely chop the almonds and walnuts and mix with the sugar, orange zest and a little honey to form a ball.
- On each piece of pastry place a spoonful of the filling, dampen the edges with a little water, fold in half to make a semi-circle and press the edges together firmly.
- Bake the skaltsounia in a buttered dish at 350oF for about 15 minutes, remove from the oven, sprinkle immediately with rosewater and the then with the icing sugar.