1lb onions cut into rings
1lb tomatoes, mashed
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup olive oil
Half cup wine
2 bay leaves
- Leave the snails to soak in cold water for five hours, covered well.
- Wash carefully and boil for 10 minutes, in water to which vinegar and salt have been added.
- Rinse well and throw away all the snails whose heads have not appeared.
- Break t top of the shell and wash again.
- Sauté the onions and the garlic in oil until soft.
- Add the snails, wine, tomatoes, bay leaves, all-spice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours until soft, adding a little water n necessary.
- Once the sauce has been reduced and the oil remains, remove and serve cold or hot.