1 kilo (2 lbs 4 oz) leeks
5 carrots, finely chopped
Plenty of celery
1 kilo (2 lbs 4 oz) ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 bay leaf
A stick of cinnamon
A liqueur glass of vinegar
2 teacups olive oil
- Top and tail the leeks. Discard the coarse outer leaves and wash them well.
- Slice them in 2-cm (3/4-inch) rings and place them in a pot.
- Let them simmer on low heat without adding any water.
- When the leeks begin to wilt, add the finely chopped carrots, the celery, the onion, the tomatoes, the oil, the salt, the bay leaf, the cinnamon, the pep¬per, and the required amount of water.
- Cover the pot and cook over a low fire, until the water is gone and the vegetables are left in their sauce.
- Just before cooking is done, add the vinegar.